Portion for Reading Psalms 7-91. Plea for deliverance from persecutors - individual lament (7:1-17)
1 O LORD my God, I take refuge in you;save and deliver me from all who pursue me,
2 or they will tear me like a lionand rip me to pieces with no one to rescue me.
1 O LORD my God, I take refuge in you;save and deliver me from all who pursue me,
2 or they will tear me like a lionand rip me to pieces with no one to rescue me.
Psalms 7:3,6,9,14-17
O LORD my God, if I have done this and there is guilt on my hands- Arise, O LORD, in your anger;rise up against the rage of my enemies.Awake, my God; decree justice
O righteous God,who searches minds and hearts,bring to an end the violence of the wicked and make the righteous secure.
He who is pregnant with evil and conceives trouble gives birth to disillusionment.
He who digs a hole and scoops it out falls into the pit he has made.
The trouble he causes recoils on himself; his violence comes down on his own head.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.
2. Praise of God's majesty and human worth - hymn (8:1-9)
Psalms 8:2-6
2. Praise of God's majesty and human worth - hymn (8:1-9)
Psalms 8:2-6
From the lips of children and infants
you have ordained praise [e]
because of your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?
You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings [f]
and crowned him with glory and honor.
You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:
3. Prayer for oppressed - individual lament (9:1-10:18)
Psalms 9:1,2,6,9,10,17-20
you have ordained praise [e]
because of your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?
You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings [f]
and crowned him with glory and honor.
You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:
3. Prayer for oppressed - individual lament (9:1-10:18)
Psalms 9:1,2,6,9,10,17-20
I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart;
I will tell of all your wonders.
I will tell of all your wonders.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.
Endless ruin has overtaken the enemy,
you have uprooted their cities;
even the memory of them has perished.
you have uprooted their cities;
even the memory of them has perished.
The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed,
a stronghold in times of trouble.
a stronghold in times of trouble.
Those who know your name will trust in you,
for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.
for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.
The wicked return to the grave, [i]
all the nations that forget God.
But the needy will not always be forgotten,
nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish.
Arise, O LORD, let not man triumph;
let the nations be judged in your presence.
Strike them with terror, O LORD;
let the nations know they are but men.
Selah
all the nations that forget God.
But the needy will not always be forgotten,
nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish.
Arise, O LORD, let not man triumph;
let the nations be judged in your presence.
Strike them with terror, O LORD;
let the nations know they are but men.
Selah
Source:http://religion.ucumberlands.edu